Monday, July 23, 2007

Self Improvement Tip of the Day: Lessons Learned the Hard Way

Self Improvement Tip of the Day: Lessons Learned the Hard Way

Last week I had a computer disaster. It stopped working, and nothing could get it started.

Many hours on the phone with the help desk did nothing, except conclude that my hard drive was beyond repair and had to be replaced. They would replace it under warranty but this didn’t cover recovering any of my files which may have been lost forever.

I had an engineer came to replace my hard drive and took more than 5 hours working on this and other problems which still weren’t fully resolved. The next day spent I spent over 7 hours on the phone with a senior technician and finally got everything sorted out. Thank God for extended warranties!

My lost data was even more of a problem. It wouldn’t be for most people working in offices with automatic backups, or better organised individuals who back up their computers regularly. But I hadn’t backed up my computer properly for months!

Although I’m not a luddite, I’ve not really kept up to date with backing up and thought it still had to be done on cds (maybe I am a luddite after all) and backing up always seemed to take hours. I knew I should be doing it regularly and that I need to do something about it, but for some reason I was confident I’d never suffer from the problems I’ve just experience.

An engineer at my local computer shop bent over backwards to rescue my data, including taking it home for the weekend and running many tests etc and working on it for dozens of hours. I’ve no doubt he took pity on me and ended up charging me for what I’m sure was a just fraction of the time he actually spent working on it.

Fortunately I was eventually able to recover most of my files and I’ve now set up a foolproof (I hope!) backup system to ensure this never happens again.

So what’s the end result of this experience? I lost the best part of a week of my time and a lot of money trying to resolve a problem that wouldn’t have really arisen if I’d kept up to date and planned better.

Over the next few blogs I’ll be featuring The ‘P’ Words of Success which came to me as a result. They include things it would have done me good to have acted on before last week! I hope you find them helpful too.

To be continued….

Self Improvement Quote of the Day:

"Health, happiness and success depend upon the fighting spirit of each person. The big thing is not what happens to us in life - but what we do about what happens to us." -George Allen

You can claim a FREE copy of Napoleon Hill’s classic THINK AND GROW RICH here and click here to Discover the Best Success and Self Improvement Resources on the internet!


Technorati Tags:
, , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home